ProfitSee's KPI Generator allows you to easily create unique KPIs based on financial and non-financial metrics. These custom KPIs offer you flexibility in providing the specific metrics each client needs.
Creating a Custom KPI
- Log into your ProfitSee account and open the company file for which you wish to generate custom KPIs.
- Open the KPI section by clicking "KPIs" on the left-hand navigation panel.
- Click "KPI Generator" to start building your custom KPI:
- Create a name for this KPI, select the appropriate unit of measure (Currency, Ratio, Percentage) and add a description of the KPI to appear on the PDF reports if desired. Click "Continue" to move on to the next step.
- Build your KPI formula by drag-and-drop from the Operands and Types on the left to the formula box on the right:
- Click "Continue" once you have completed the formula set up, then click "Save" after reviewing your custom KPI.
- Your new KPI is now available for viewing, editing and setting limits or notifications under the "Custom KPIs"section:
Sharing Custom KPIs
Once you have created a custom KPI for one of your company files, you can quickly and easily share it among any of the other company files you have synced into ProfitSee. This saves you time by allowing you to only set up each custom KPI once!
- Log into your ProfitSee account and open the company file you'd like to add a previously built KPI to.
- Click "KPIs" on the left-hand navigation panel and expand the arrow next to "KPI Generator". Click "Import KPI":
- In the pop-up that appears, select the custom KPI you want available in this company from the drop-down then click "Import":
- The KPI formula and information will pop up. Click "Continue" twice, then "Save" to add the KPI. Note: If you change the formula here, it will also affect any other files that contain this custom KPI.
- Verify the KPI has been successfully shared:
ProfitSee offers a variety of options for creating your custom KPIs. You can use account groups already set up in your chart of accounts, create a new account group, use fixed values and even statistical (non-posting) accounts. The sections below will go over how to use each account type in your custom KPI set-up process.
Using Account Groups
It is quite easy to use account groups, whether they are existing groups or a new group you have created.
- Select an existing account group:
- Or, create a new account group by adding multiple accounts to a custom grouping:
- Whether using new or existing account groups, make sure to click "Apply" after making your selection.
Using Statistical (Non-Posting Accounts)
Statistical accounts work just like account groups, but for non-posting accounts. These non-posting accounts can be synced over from the accounting software, or created manually in ProfitSee. A statistical account must be available prior to creating a custom KPI that uses this type of account. In those cases where you need to create the statistical account manually, follow the steps below.
- Click on "Data Entry" on the left-hand navigation panel and select "Chart of Accounts".
- Click on "Add new account":
- Name the new account and select "Non-Posting" as the account type:
- Navigate to "Actual Data Entry", scroll down to the newly created non-posting accounts and enter the appropriate values for each month:
- Proceed with creating a custom KPI as above, defining your statistical account as appropriate:
Using Fixed Values
In some cases, you may want to build a custom KPI using values that do not change from month to month. This can be accomplished by using the Fixed Value account type while building your KPI formula.
- Drag-and-drop "Fixed Value" from the left to the right in the KPI formula builder, enter the static value in the pop-up that appears and click "Apply":
- Complete your KPI by clicking "Continue", then "Save":
Now that your custom KPIs have been created, you are ready to set limits, target values and notifications just like you did for the standard KPIs! For a refresher on updating these settings, see "Setting Up Your KPIs".